The organization has been innovative in that it has chronicled a number of firsts. It was the first National Pan-Hellenic Council organization to centralize its operations in a national headquarters, first to charter a chapter in Africa, first to form auxiliary groups, and first to be constitutionally bound to a fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Visit Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. HQs
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority also owes a debt of gratitude to our Sorority’s incorporators. From the beginning, Zeta members saw the necessity of ensuring the permanence of the organization. As such, Sorority members Myrtle Tyler, Gladys Warrington, Joanna Houston, Josephine F. Johnson and L.O. Goldia Smith first incorporated Zeta Phi Beta Sorority on March 30, 1923 in Washington D.C. In 1939, the Sorority was incorporated in the state of Illinois.
Zeta‘s national and local programs include the endowment of its National Educational Foundation community outreach services and support of multiple affiliate organizations. Zeta chapters and auxiliaries have given untotaled hours of voluntary service to educate the public, assist youth, provide scholarships, support organized charities, and promote legislation for social and civic change.